6.11.13

Shades of Phoenix 'The Furies Trio' - Swatches & Review


Today I have some more beauties from the fantastic Aussie Indie label, Shades of Phoenix. The Furies Trio is the newest creation from the lovely Teneil, mastermind behind SoP. This little collection of jellies is, like many of her other collections, inspired by Greek Mythology. Admittedly, I don't know much at all about Greek Mythology so I'll just let Teneil do the explaining...

According to the Shades of Phoenix website, "The Furies (also known as the Erinyes) are the main antagonists of God of War: Ascension, as they hunt Kratos for 'betraying' Ares. The Furies are an independent race; neither Titan nor God, Mortal nor Shade. In Greek mythology they are the chthonic deities of vengeance created when Cronos castrated his father Ouranus and threw his genitalia into the sea, the Furies emerged from the drops of blood. There were three sisters: Alecto, Megaera and Tisiphone. These three sisters soon became the forever loyal servants of Hades."

The first one I've got to show you is 'Alecto'. This polish was the main reason for my purchase of the Furies Trio because I can't resist a good purple jelly! When it arrived and I actually got to wear it, I fell even more in love with it. I love the all of the little squares and the fuchsia hex really pop in the deep purple jelly base.

My swatches show 2 coats of 'Alecto' over OPI 'Russian Navy' with topcoat. You could probably build it up on it's own with 3-4 coats but that might cause it to get a little thick so I suggest opting for a dark purple base colour with this one!



 'Alecto' is full of  square and hex glitters in holo silver, lavender, and fuchsia in multiple sizes. It also has lovely blue/violet micro flecks throughout.


The Mythology of Alecto, "She was charged with punishing those who committed moral crimes such as anger, especially when used against others, she was the goddess of Anger."




Next is 'Megaera', a deep jade green jelly that's full of green, black holo, and turquoise circle glitters as well as tiny green and turquoise hex. It's quite a sheer jelly so you will definitely need undies. I would suggest using any dark green or teal that you have in your collection.

For my swatches, I used 3 coats of 'Megarea' over Australis 'Indie', which is a bright jade green. I think next time I wear this one, I'll use a darker green base colour. 



The Mythology: "Megaera was the goddess of Jealousy; she punished those who had committed crimes and infidelity.". So this lovely shade of green is appropriate!

Shades of Phoenix 'Megaera', outdoors, direct sunlight


Last in this collection is my surprise favourite 'Tisiphone'! This one surprised me in how much I loved it! I don't normally gravitate towards reds (this is my first red indie) and I'm a little bit obsessed with it. It has taken over Sally Hansen 'Red Carpet' as my favourite red glitter jelly.



The Mythology: "Tisiphone was the third sister and the goddess of Vengeance, punishing those who have committed the crimes of murder: parricide, fratricide and homicide".  I think this polish represents the spirit of Tisiphone so well! The deepness of this red makes it look almost blood-like.

Shades of Phoenix 'Tisiphone', outdoors, shade

Shades of Phoenix 'Tisiphone', outdoors, direct sunlight
For my swatches, I used 3 coats of 'Tisiphone' on it's own. The deep pinkish red base is super pigmented so you won't need undies all! With the first coat it appears to be a nice red jelly but as you build, it gets super deep and vampy.

'Tisiphone' is absolutely packed with glitter! It's full of tiny red hex that flash orange, as well as small red hex and squares. It also has a lovely pink micro shimmer throughout.

Which one is your favourite? I'm seriously torn between 'Alecto' and 'Tisiphone'!

The Furies Collection is available now from the (newly relocated to Big Cartel) Shades Of Phoenix store. You can buy them individually for $9.50 each or get the set for $27.

Caitlin,xo


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't get past Alecto, it's a stunner! Your swatch is perfect!

Squeaky Nails said...

Alecto is beautiful!

Lucy (the Nail Snail) said...

These look gorgeous, I love Megarea -- the jade color and the jelly texture are amazing!

Post a Comment